This service is for the provision of free Emergency Hormonal Contraception (EHC) to females aged between 13 to 18 years in the community pharmacy setting. It is independent of but should be offered where appropriate, in conjunction with a pharmacy chlamydia screening service.
The aims of this service are to:
- improve access to emergency contraception, safer sex and sexual health advice;
- reduce the number of unintended pregnancies in the client group by use of EHC;
- refer all clients accessing this service into mainstream contraceptive services for ongoing contraceptive needs;
- increase the knowledge of risks associated with sexually transmitted infections (STIs);
- refer clients at risk of STIs to an appropriate service; and
- increase knowledge, especially among young people, of the availability of EHC from the community pharmacy setting.